Facility IT Administrator
The KSPS PBS team seeks a Facility IT Administrator. This position provides support for local area networks (LAN), wide area networks (WAN), intranet, Internet or network segment systems for KSPS. This position is also responsible for the overall stability and security of the KSPS Building IT Network as well as the installation, repair, maintenance, and user training for all non-broadcast IT network and computer related hardware, software and supplies for the KSPS television station. Secondarily, this position when needed will be asked to help install, troubleshoot, and repair specific broadcast IT related equipment including playout servers, storage arrays, network switches and more.
Job Duties & Responsibilities
- Assists and advises G.M., Station Manager, and Operations Manager in planning for future non-broadcast IT network and computing-related equipment including software and hardware installation, requirements, and budgetary recommendations.
- Establishes network specifications by conferring with users; analyzing workflow, access, information, and security requirements; designing router administration, including interface configuration and routing protocols.
- Maintains network performance by performing network monitoring and analysis as well as performance tuning; network problem troubleshooting and when necessary escalating problems to vendor. This also includes updating and maintaining a Disaster Recovery Plan for the building network.
- Secures network through the deployment of firewall technology, network access, monitoring, control, evaluation, and documentation updating.
- Primarily performs installation and/or removal, preventative and/or corrective maintenance and/or troubleshooting primarily on all non-broadcast IT systems and equipment. In-house IT equipment includes but is not limited to: the station’s Phone & Security Systems, Virtual Server Network, Building Network Security System, Desktop & Laptop Computers, Networking Devices, and Computer Peripheral Hardware equipment.
- Secondarily this position, when needed, will be asked to perform installation and/or removal, preventative and/or corrective maintenance and/or troubleshooting on specific IT-related equipment on the broadcast IT side. The broadcast IT specific equipment would include playout servers, virtual servers, storage arrays, and network switches.
- Interact with and assist staff members with their IT/Desktop & Laptop Computing needs, which include responding to trouble calls as well as the development of staff software and security policies for the station network.
- Continually updates knowledge base by participating in educational opportunities; reading professional publications; maintaining personal networks.
- Communicate IT updates and concerns effectively with the engineering team and other departments; this includes assigning non-broadcast IT projects to the station’s IT/Studio Engineer as needed, attending the weekly Engineering meeting as well as the station’s monthly All Staff meeting.
- Must be highly flexible with work hours and be able to respond to the critical IT needs of KSPS when needed.
- Eligible for Turn-Around pay when you do not have a full ten hours between shifts or a full 58 hours between work weeks. Will be paid one half times normal hourly rate for hours worked that break in time off. Overtime hours or shift trading pre-empts this provision.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Education/Experience: to perform this job successfully, an individual must have:
- At least an associate degree in computer science or vocational training.
- Previous experience in a television engineering environment preferred.
Certificates/Licenses: To perform this job successfully, an individual must:
- Have knowledge and understand LAN, WAN and SAN networks, server virtualization, Windows Power Shell; Networking protocols, especially IPv4 and increasingly IPv6; One or more operating systems including Windows (Windows 7 and above) Mac OS for desktop/laptop & server systems. Also, Windows Server 2008 & 2012 as well as Linux/Unix and Mac OS X; Network services including name and directory services (email, HTTP, DNS, SHCP, FTP IMAP & HTTP); ISP’s or long-haul communication providers (VPN’s, encryption, authentication & security service); video conferencing and voice over IP.
- Certifications preferred: CompTIA Certifications - Network+, Security+, Server+. Microsoft certifications such as - Microsoft 365 Certified: Enterprise Administrator Expert, Azure Administrator Associate.
Mental & Other Skills/Abilities: To perform this job successfully, an individual must have the:
- Adaptability: ability to adapt to changes, delays or unexpected events in the work environment; ability to manage competing demands and prioritize tasks; ability to change approach or method to best fit the situation.
- Analytical Ability: ability to maintain focus for extended periods of time; ability to complete projects with resourcefulness and persistence; ability to synthesize complex or diverse information; ability to use intuition and experience to complement existing data.
- Dependability: ability to follow instructions, both in written and verbal format; ability to respond to management direction; ability to complete tasks on time or notify the appropriate person with an alternate plan when necessary.
- Interpersonal Skills: ability to maintain satisfactory relationships with others, excellent customer service skills and a good overall understanding of appropriate human relations.
- Problem Solving Ability: ability to troubleshoot, identify and/or prevent problems before they occur; ability to formulate alternative solutions to problems when necessary; ability to transfer learning from past experiences to new experiences of similar nature.
- Quality Management: ability to complete duties, on time and with absolute precision, at least 95% of the time; ability to edit the accuracy and thoroughness of one’s work as well as the work of others; ability to constructively apply feedback to improve performance, ability to generate ideas to improve and promote quality in work.
- Supervisory Skills: This job does not require any direct supervisory oversight of any KSPS employees.
Workplace Environmental Conditions
While performing the essential duties/responsibilities of this job, the employee will be:
- Noise Conditions: exposed during a shift to constant or intermittent sounds at a level sufficient to cause hearing loss or fatigue.
- Heat: subject to high temperatures that result in significant body discomfort.
- Cold: exposed to low temperatures that result in significant body discomfort.
- Injury Exposure: exposed to workplace hazards more frequently than normal or to potential injuries.
- Atmospheric Exposures: exposed to dusts, fumes, vapors, or mists that could affect the occupational health of the employee.
Compensation and Benefits
Salary Range is $26.44 - $31.25/hr depending on experience
Benefits offered include:
- Full-time, non-exempt
- Regular Schedule (M-F, 8 am - 5 pm) up to 2 days/week remote
- Up to 11 paid holidays (holiday must fall on a normally scheduled workday) or time and a half when working on the actual holiday
- Vacation: 96 hours annually
- Paid Sick Leave
- Medical/Dental Insurance for employees (and optionally their families)
- Life Insurance
- Short and Long Term Disability
- Retirement Benefits (401K Plan) - Once employee is eligible, Friends of KSPS contributes 3% annually.