KSPS and the Northwest Alliance for Responsible Media present:
April 25, 2018, 8:30am-2:10 pm
KSPS Public Television, 3911 S Regal St, Spokane
Interested in a career in media? Sign up for MediaFest.
MediaFest brings 10 media professionals together with high school students to:
- learn about careers in digital media, television, radio, independent film-making, and print
- meet working journalists and marketers
- learn about career trends and opportunities
- interact with professional video equipment
- get real-world answers to your questions
- gain critical thinking skills
Free and open to high school students and teachers in the Spokane area.
Lunch provided. You or your school must provide transportation. Students must have signed permission from your school and your parent/guardian to attend.
subject to change; topics and speakers will be updated as the schedule is finalized
- Digital marketing - social media, AdWords, web, email - Skyler Reep, Director of Membership, KSPS Public Television
- Sports Journalism
- Newspaper Journalism - Dan Nailen, Arts and Culture Writer, Pacific Northwest Inlander
- Television Photojournalism - Jeff Bollinger, KREM2 News Photojournalist
- Independent Filmmaking - Kendra Sherrill, independent filmmaker, Producer/Editor, North by Northwest; Asst. Director, Spokane International Film Festival
- Photography/Videography - Rajah Bose, owner, Factory Town; former photojournalist, Gonzaga University
- Radio and Television Journalism - Kristi Gorenson, KXLY radio host, anchor/reporter, "Washington Grown"
- Hands-on experiences with video production equipment - green screen, production control, field videography and lighting, edit suite
- Interactive Session: Fake News, We Lose -- what "fake news" is doing to our democracy, how to spot it, how to keep it from spreading - Heather Crandall, PhD, Carolyn Cunningham, PhD, John Caputo, PhD, Gonzaga University Communication Leadership Studies
Have your lunch with a professional or two and ask questions, one-to-one.
Local Media Professionals who participated in recent years include Nick Deshais, Spokesman-Review Reporter; Alison Boggs, Spokesman-Review Online Producer; Josh King, Tinderbox Consulting Social Media Marketer; Gary Stokes, KSPS General Manager; Kristi Gorenson, KXLY 920 News Anchor; Jeff Bollinger, KREM 2 News Photojournalist; Dan Nailen, Inlander Reporter; Mary DeCesare, KSPS Documentary Producer; Rajah Bose, Gonzaga University Photojournalist; Stephanie Vigil, KHQ News Anchor; Dan Nailen, Inland Northwest Inlander; Quinn Western, Itron.
“A first class event and learning experience for the students and staff! My kids were inspired. Thank you so much for the opportunity for our kids to talk with and learn from professionals in the industry.”
“It was lots of fun! I loved having lunch with the Pros and touring the station.”
“There is nothing I would change. I learned a lot in the short amount of time I was here."