KSPS is here for you with teacher-approved, standards-based activities for students preschool aged all the way through high school. Like you, I'm working from home and trying to keep my children, ages 1 and 4, engaged and learning. I'll update actives and resources each weekday. If you have any comments or suggestions, or just want to tell me how it's going, I'd love to hear from you at bbreczinski@ksps.org.

Bukola Breczinski
KSPS Education Director

This week's content themes: English Language Arts & Math

Bukola
April 1, 2020

Today’s activities focus on counting skills, exploring character traits, multiplying fractions, and using probability in real-life situations.

March 31, 2020

Today’s activities focus on counting skills, crafting sock puppets, exploring character traits, multiplying negative numbers, and probability.

Online resources from local museums and libraries

Our local museums and libraries have a wealth of free resources that are fun to explore with your family. Take some time to explore their online resources.

Spokane Public Library

• EBooks: There are over 7,000 eBooks from the Spokane Public Library you can borrow, for free, using just your hand-held device.
  • Kanopy: Kanopy is the library’s new free streaming media service. Films can be streamed from any computer, television, mobile device or platform by downloading the Kanopy app for iOS, Android, AppleTV, Chromecast or Roku. Access to over 30,000 films.
  • Genealogy Exploration: Ancestry Library Edition is one of the most important genealogical collections available today with unparalleled coverage of the United States and the United Kingdom

The Northwest Museum of Art and Culture

• Online Exhibits: quilts, Spokane photographs, works on paper—so much to explore!
March 30, 2020

Our curriculum themes this week are English Language Arts & Math. Today’s resources focus on letter learning, text features, identifying character traits, multiplying positive numbers, and using probability to solve real-life problems. We hope these resources will help you engage your children and students in a variety of language, literacy, and math learning experiences.

March 27, 2020

Today, you’ll find resources to extend learning from yesterday—new activities and lessons around exploring the alphabet, the natural environment, climate and climate change. And don’t forget to take time for physical play throughout the day: PBS Parents has 8 great indoor activity ideas to release kids' (and caregivers’ !) energy.

~Be well, Bukola

Children’s Programming: You can access PBS’s trusted educational children’s programs such as Wild Kratts, Sesame Street, and Arthur anytime, anywhere using the PBS Video App or on the KSPS 24/7 PBS KIDS Channel (7.4 via antenna). All PBS children’s programs have an academic focus and associated learning games.

Family Movie Night: This weekend, Arthur is the featured star of Family Movie Night on KSPS. It will be back-to-back hours of Arthur! At 7pm, it’s “The Rhythm and Roots of Arthur.” Arthur’s family and Buster take a trip to the Read family farm where they learn about traditions and family.

Then at 8pm, it’s “Arthur: D.W. and the Beastly Birthday.” D.W. runs away to the island of Ukubonga after her fifth birthday doesn’t go according to plan, while Arthur’s school trip to the planetarium magically transports him four years into the future.

Both shows are available Friday, Saturday, and Sunday evenings.

March 26, 2020

Today’s activities focus on exploring the alphabet, outside play, animal environments, and issues related to climate and climate change. I'd love to hear your thoughts about these resources—was there a resource your family especially enjoyed or something new your child learned? Email me your thoughts or share fun pictures of the activities you tried! -Bukola

P.S. Starting Monday, the 30th, KSPS will broadcast live at-home learning opportunities for grades 6-12 on the KSPS World channel from 9:00 AM to 2:00 PM. KSPS World is free on channel 7.2 on digital antennas in the broadcast area. Comcast Xfinity customers can find KSPS World on channel 313 and in HD on channel 1155.

March 24, 2020

Other Resources

Looking for ways to give back during these challenging times?

• As a family, create handwritten letters, cards, and/or drawings and drop them off at a local nursing home. These will surely brighten residents’ days. Call or email your local nursing home for specific drop off instructions.
  • The New York Times has a great list of ways your family your help and give back during these times.
March 23, 2020

Additional Resources

In response to the unprecedented uncertainty facing young children and families, Sesame Workshop, the nonprofit educational organization behind Sesame Street, is offering a broad variety of free resources to help children and families during the coronavirus pandemic through a new initiative, Caring for Each Other.

The initiative features resources designed to help parents provide comfort and manage anxiety, as well as help with creating routines, fostering playful learning at home, and staying physically and mentally healthy. SesameStreet.org/caring will be regularly updated to meet the needs of families.

March 21 & 22

Here are a few resources and activities to help you extend learning at home throughout the weekend or just unwind.

THINGS TO STREAM

THINGS TO DO

March 20, 2020

Additional Resources

A few do's and don'ts for families during the coronavirus outbreaks.

A doctor helper explains the coronavirus and how children can be good helpers.

March 19, 2020

PBS KIDS READ-ALONGS

PBS KIDS will have read-alongs on Facebook today and on Friday:

• Thursday, March 19:
    PEG + CAT co-creator Billy Aronson will read the The Race Car Problem live at 8:00 am PT. Join us on the @PBSKIDS Facebook page.
  • Friday, March 20:
    XAVIER RIDDLE AND THE SECRET MUSEUM series co-creator Brad Meltzer will read his book I am… Amelia Earhart live at 9:00 Am PT on the @PBSKIDS Facebook page.

PBS KIDS GAMES

The PBS KIDS Games app offers nearly 200 educational games, which can be downloaded for offline play anytime, anywhere. Learn more about these and PBS KIDS’ other apps here:https://pbskids.org/apps

March 18, 2020
March 17, 2020